Rolex has undoubtedly become synonymous with luxury and prestige in the watchmaking industry. Amongst their impressive line-up, the Rolex GMT-Master II Pepsi stands out as a true icon. In this article, we will explore the history, design, features, and price of this legendary timepiece.
The History of the Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
The original Rolex GMT Master was designed in collaboration with Pan Am Airways in the 1950s. The airline needed a reliable timepiece that could display multiple time zones simultaneously for their pilots. The resulting timepiece became an instant classic and was worn by aviation professionals around the world.
Over time, Rolex continued to refine the GMT Master to create the GMT-Master II Pepsi, which was first released in 1983. The watch’s name was inspired by its iconic red and blue bezel, which resembled the colors of the famous soft drink brand. The watch gained popularity not only amongst pilots but also with collectors and enthusiasts alike.
Design Features of the Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
The Rolex GMT-Master II Pepsi is a stunning example of the brand’s commitment to both functionality and aesthetics. Here are some of the key design features that make it stand out:
- Red and Blue Bezel – The most distinguishing feature of the GMT-Master II Pepsi is its ceramic “Pepsi” bezel. The colors represent day and night, allowing pilots to easily differentiate between the two time zones displayed on the watch face.
- Dual Time Zone Functionality – The GMT-Master II can display two different time zones simultaneously. The watch’s main hour hand displays the local time, while the additional GMT hand tracks a second time zone.
- Oyster Bracelet – The watch comes with a sturdy and comfortable Oyster bracelet that blends seamlessly with the rest of the watch.
- Superlative Chronometer Certification – The watch is certified by the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC) for its accuracy, reliability, and precision.
Materials and Technical Specifications
The Rolex GMT-Master II Pepsi is made with high-quality materials that are both durable and attractive. Here are some of the key technical specifications:
- Case – The watch’s case measures 40mm in diameter and is made of Oystersteel, a highly corrosion-resistant alloy.
- Movement – The watch is powered by the self-winding Caliber 3285 movement, which has a power reserve of up to 70 hours.
- Crystal – The watch features a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal that protects the dial from damage.
- Water Resistance – The watch is water-resistant up to 100 meters or 330 feet.
Price of the Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
Rolex watches are known for their high price tags, and the no exception. The watch typically retails for around $9,700 USD, but prices can vary depending on the condition, location, and availability of the timepiece.
Despite its premium price point, the GMT-Master II Pepsi remains a highly sought-after watch with collectors and enthusiasts across the globe.
The Rolex GMT-Master II is a true icon of the watchmaking industry. Its combination of functionality, durability, and stunning design make it a must-have for anyone who appreciates fine timepieces. Whether you’re a pilot, collector, or simply a lover of luxury watches.
- What is the history behind the Rolex GMT Master?
- The original Rolex GMT Master was designed in collaboration with Pan Am Airways in the 1950s. The GMT-Master was released in 1983 and features a red and blue ceramic bezel.
- What are the key design features?
- The watch features a red and blue ceramic “Pepsi” bezel, dual time zone functionality, an Oyster bracelet, and Superlative Chronometer Certification.
- What materials is the Rolex made of?
- The watch is made of Oystersteel, with a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal protecting the dial.
- What is the price of the Rolex?
- The watch typically retails for around $9,700 USD, but prices can vary depending on the condition, location, and availability of the timepiece.
- Why is the Rolex GMT Master such a sought-after watch?
- The watch’s combination of functionality, durability, and stunning design make it a must-have for anyone who appreciates fine timepieces. Its history and association with aviation also add to its allure.